Ramblers East Cheshire Group Minutes of the Annual General Meeting held on Saturday 23rd November 2019 at Macclesfield Tennis Club (subject to approval at the AGM 2020)

There were 40 members that signed the attendance register.  Welcome  The chair welcomed members to the AGM and thanked them for attending. 

1. Apologies for absence  The following members sent their apologies: Audrey Sheen, John Edwards, David Gylee, Dave Barraclough, Judith Anderson, Andy Davies, Alan Catherall and Michael Murphy.  

2. Minutes of the AGM held on 24tth November 2018 The minutes were accepted unanimously as a true and fair record of this meeting (proposed by Helen Richardson and seconded by Sue Munslow) 

3. Matters arising from the AGM held on 24th November 2018

To clarify the question asked regarding the insurance provided by the Ramblers. All ramblers are covered by what is known as liability insurance when on an ECR group walk. Further information can be found at the Ramblers website (www.ramblers.org.uk) where there is an Insurance Guide (Login in your Account and go to Home >Volunteer zone >Support & Development alphabetically sorted > volunteer toolkits > Insurance toolkit and download the latest Insurance Guide)

4. Annual Reports from Officers (posted in the website for reference) 

4.1 Chair 

During her address to the meeting the Chair highlighted:  a) Walk programme: this year the Stroller Walks have become very successful and well attended. However, the midweek and weekend walks have run with radical variations in the number of walkers. There has been much discussion about this at the Committee and amongst the members. In the light of the statistical data gathered in 2019 so far the Committee decided to leave the programme unchanged as there was a diversity of opinions that no clear way forward has evolved.

 All the volunteers were thanked for their contribution to this amazing and varied programme of walks. The Walk Coordinators are always looking for new volunteers to lead walks (see (d) below). b) The work carried out by the Footpath Committee was highlighted and thanked for the work they do. c) There has been a change in the responsibility for posting information in the ECR Website (Maggie Swindells) and for circulating communications as bulk emails to the membership (Steve Hull). The Committee are looking for volunteers with Facebook, WhatsApp and/or Instagram knowledge so that we can make use of these media in our means of communication to help to attract younger members. d) Several social and training events were organized during 2019. The walk Leader introductory course run in July was a success and the Committee may run another course in 2020 and depending on demand will run them annually. e) The Committee are looking to co-opt two volunteers to join. f) Finally, everyone who have volunteered and contributed to make a success of ECR were acknowledged and appreciated very much. There were no questions from the floor.

4.2 Treasurer 

Key points made during the address were:  a) A surplus of £1082.47 with our bank balance standing at £5882.48 which is up on last year figure of £4801. ECR remains in a robust financial position and has sufficient provision available to invest in footpath improvement schemes once they have been identified. b) Our funding for the year from Ramblers was £1200 (up from £800 requested last year) c) Our self-funded activities generated a surplus of £63 d) ECR received £610 in commissions from Ramblers Holidays which is a sizeable increase from previous years. Donations totalling £200 were made to our local Mountain Rescue Teams (Kinder, Buxton, Glossop and Oldham). ECR also donated £500 to Cheshire East Council to help fund the repair of Harrop Bridge. e) The vast majority of members are now using internet payments. A question from a member was asked relating to expenses incurred by walk leaders at weekend away events (ie. Recce charges). A rough framework was discussed at the last Committee meeting in November and details will be finalized at the next Committee meeting due in February 2020.

4.3 Membership Secretary 

The following members that had passed away in the past year were remembered with a minute silence: Derek Thornley, Nora Shercliff and Gabriel Drew.

 Since the last AGM our membership numbers have gone down from 593 to 566 in line with national figures. Our group are actively trying to recruit new members by leaving publicity leaflets in local leisure centres, medical centres and libraries. Central Office have started a campaign to keep new members by providing guidance to the local groups in the country (see report in the website for details).  The need for members to keep their personal details up to date was emphasised to ensure that the ECR group members list which is issued monthly by Central Office is up to date – changers can only be done by the individual login into his/her Account in the Ramblers website. It is important to update any change in an email address immediately so that the change appears in the monthly membership list as the list is used to update the bulk email service (used to send ECR communications to our members) on a monthly basis. There were no questions from the floor.

4.4 Social & Events Secretary 

A full and varied programme of events was provided to our members, which were well supported. Our social programme depends so much on the generosity of members who are prepared to give up their time to provide events for all of us and they were thanked on behalf of all the membership for their time, enthusiasm,             imagination and continued support. We are looking for volunteers to run a Weekend Away in 2020. There were no questions from the floor. 

4.5 Footpath Committee Chairman

 In the absence of Dave Barraclough, Neil Collie stood in his place to answer any questions arising from the report (posted in the website for reference). This year has been an active but fairly routine year for the Footpath Committee activities. The significant work done by Colin Park in the listing of potential Lost Ways across Cheshire was acknowledged as he is now standing down from managing this project on behalf of ECR. There were no questions from the floor.

4.6 Publicity Officer

This year has seen walk articles appearing in the Macclesfield Express on all but one week. Walk articles from anyone leading walks are welcome, especially if it is a new or unfamiliar area (instructions on the format of an article are given in the report posted in the website). In addition, walk articles are now posted in our website for those members that do not have access to the newspaper. There were no questions from the floor.  

5. Other Reports 

5.1 Footpath Maintenance Projects Team (coordinated by Brian Richardson)

The Team has carried out one project during this year – a major path re-instatement on National Trust land in Alderley Edge. The Coordinator hopes to engage the Team in several tasks in 2020.  There were no questions from the floor. 5.2 ECR Walk Statistics (posted in the website for reference)   In the light of the statistical analysis available for 2019 the Committee have decided to leave our extensive and varied Walk Programme format unchanged – see 4.1 (a) above. The work done by Ralph Atherton and Andy Davies was acknowledged and appreciated. Ralph will not be involved in the collection and data crunching anymore and this task will be done by Andy from now on.

6. Election of Officers and Committee

The following stood for re-election and were elected unopposed in block by a show of hands: Jane Gay (Chair), Colin Finlayson (Treasurer), Sue Munslow (Membership Secretary), Maggie Swindells (Social & Events Secretary), Dave Barraclough (Footpath Committee representative), Colin Park (Publicity Officer) and Keith Anderson (Committee Member). Kathryn Carty put forward her name for election to the vacant position of Secretary (duly proposed and seconded). There were no other nominations received by the cut-off date so Kathryn was unanimously elected by a show of hands. The Committee are seeking to co-opt two additional volunteers to join.  In addition, there is a vacancy for a volunteer to take on the management of the Lost Ways project. The Chair thanked the outgoing Secretary for the work done during the last 3 years.

7. Appointment of Independent Examiner (Auditor of Accounts)

Ken Hobbs was reappointed unanimously by a show of hands.

8. Motions None

9. Any other Business None

The meeting closed at 3 pm. 

Adrian Flinn – ECR Committee Secretary 9th December 2019 

Dates of meetings to be held in 2020 (venues to be confirmed in late summer):

ECR 2020 AGM – date to be confirmed

The Area 2020 AGM –      date to be confirmed

Long Walkers Weekend Away – Aberystwyth – 25th/26th April 2020

For the fourth year running I will be leading a ‘Long Walkers’ weekend and next year I am using Aberystwyth as a base.

Two linear walks will be on offer and details are as follows.

Saturday 25th April.

We catch the bus (either Trawscymru 1 or 5) from close to Aberystwyth Railway Station southwards along the coast to Llanon (Central Hotel) where we will return to Aberystwyth by following a lovely section of the Wales Coast Path. Distance 12 miles; grade moderate.

Sunday 26th April.

Our walk will start in Aberystwyth and follow the Wales Coast Path north to the edge of Borth where we will turn inland to follow quiet lanes, tracks and paths via Llandre to Bow Street. Distance 10.5 miles; grade moderate. (This walk will require a ‘car drivers only’ car shuttle of approximately 4 miles between Aberystwyth and Bow Street prior to the walk starting).

For anyone who prefers a ‘medium length walk’. Both these walks are tailored to suit anyone wishing not to walk the full distance. On the Saturday walk, buses can be caught back to Aberystwyth from the village of Blaenplwyf which lies about one mile from the coastal path via field paths or alternately the long walk can by joined from Llanrhystud. On Sunday, a train can be caught back from Borth Station to Aberystwyth.

I will have all bus and train timings prior to each walk.

Accommodation

Please book your own accommodation for the weekend and when this is done please advise Colin Park – E-mail colinpark4406@yahoo.co.uk

I will need to know where you are staying and for how many nights.

There is not a vast amount of accommodation in Aberystwyth but details can be found on booking.com, and Airbnb. There is a Premier Inn in the town centre and Park Lodge Hotel on the outskirts of the town.

Meals

We can decide this nearer the time. Some of you may want to go to an ‘Indian Restaurant’ or similar. This can be discussed when I know who is going.

Thank you

Colin Park

East Cheshire Ramblers Group Minutes of the Committee meeting held on Monday 11th November 2019

East Cheshire Ramblers Group Minutes of the Committee meeting held on Monday 11th November 2019

1. Present

Jane Gay – Chair

Colin Finlayson – Treasurer

Sue Munslow – Membership Secretary

Kathryn Carty

Keith Anderson

Adrian Flinn – Secretary

Apologies: 
David Barraclough and Maggie Swindells

2. Matters arising from last meeting (held on 2 September 2019)

2.1 The “value for the cost of the subscription”. Not yet raised with Central Office. Action: Colin Finlayson to report at next meeting

2.2 Sharing car usage through a dedicated App created by RA. Not a Central Office priority as they have other more important IT projects on going.  The Committee will encourage groups of individuals to set up WhatsApp groups to contact each other and arrange lifts to the walks starting points. Action: Jane Gay will raise at the forthcoming 2019 AGM

2.3 Safeguarding Information (children and vulnerable adults). Pending – forward to next meeting. Action: Secretary to add to agenda

2.4 Walk grade descriptions (given in our ECR website under “About “ tab and FAQ’s document to be updated to reflect any changes). Not implemented yet to allow for further discussions to take place and to be finalized at next Committee meeting. Action: Jane Gay

2.5 Continuity of future Footpath Maintenance project work. No contact with the Project Coordinator yet and this matter will be discussed at the next Committee meeting following the AGM. Action: Jane Gay

2.6 Contact with Central Office on Lost Ways.No contact with Jack Cornish made yet. Action: Dave Barraclough to make contact and report at next Committee meeting

In addition, the Committee will request the outgoing Project Coordinator of our ECR Lost Ways project to set out the next steps needed to take the project forward and help to recruit a replacement. Action: Adrian Flinn to contact Colin Park with this request

3. New Issues

3.1 Review and finalise arrangements for the 2019 AGM. Everything is ready for the AGM on 23rd November 2019.

3.2 Review of Recce charges. A rough framework was discussed and final details will be finalized/approved at the next Committee meeting. Action: Colin Finlayson /Jane Gay

3.3 Fundraising activities for charities under the banner of ECR. Two members want to independently organize sponsor walks next summer to raise money for The Christie to build an annex in Macclesfield to serve cancer patients in East Cheshire and other surrounding counties. The Secretary contacted Central Office (CO) for advice on what ECR can or cannot do to help under the Rambles Association (RA) rules on fund raising for other charities. The questions posed to RA and their response in given in the Appendix. The Committee discussed the advice and agreed that the guidelines given were very clear. Action: Adrian Flinn will forward the information in the Appendix to the two members for their information and so they can understand the scope of the support that ECR can provide to the two individuals to raise money through sponsor walks for this very worthy cause.

Date of next meeting

Monday 3rd February 2020 at 1.30 pm at Chair house

Adrian Flinn – Secretary (12.11.2019)

APPENDIX

From: Adrian Flinn <adrianflinn43@gmail.com>

Subject: East Cheshire Ramblers – Fund raising 

Date: 31 October 2019 at 16:28:48 GMT

To: fundraising@ramblers.org.uk

Hello,

I would be grateful if you could provide advice on a question of sponsored walks . Our Committee would like to know for the avoidance of doubt whether under the rules of the Ramblers Association (RA)  we can support two of our members that they want to organise independently a series of sponsored walks next summer to raise money for a very worthy cause (not RA). The organisers wish to advertise these walks under the banner of our East Cheshire Ramblers Group (ECR) and use our bulk email system to inform our members and post the walks details in our website. If this is not permitted under the RA rules what are we allowed to do to help the organisers to raise money for a worthy cause not related to the RA.

I look forward to receiving your response on this matter.

Regards,

Adrian Flinn

ECR Committee Secretary 

James Austin (Ramblers)  Nov 6, 11:17 GMT  Hi Adrian,

Thanks for your email. 

These situations are always tricky – we always want to support good causes but as a charity we are tightly bound by the charity commissions rules on fundraising for other charities.

The charity commissions rules state the the Ramblers state that we can only fund-raise for other charities provided that it helps deliver our own mission – so you need to consider the objectives of the charity that you’re planning to raise funds for.  If their objectives are consistent with ours, then it is appropriate to fund-raise for them (an example would be raising funds for the South West Coast Path Association to maintain the coastal path).  However if the charity’s objectives are different, it isn’t appropriate to raise funds for them.  This applies to all fundraising, regardless of the scale or activity.

We can also help charities who do not share our charitable objectives to put on events – but we’d urge caution.  For example, we can share our expertise (by organising walks), as this is part of our role in providing information, advice and guidance to enable people to go walking.  However any such events must be covered by the insurance of other charity.

If the organisers in this case wish to advertise the walk under the banner of ‘East Cheshire Ramblers’ and run the event under Ramblers insurance etc. then I believe this would be in contravension of the charity commission rules. If they chose to run the walks seperately, but you wanted to advertise the event (but not insure, run or organise it) then I believe that this would be allowed within the charity commission rules. Alternatively, you could organise a joint fundraising event – for example with 50% of proceeds would be donated to the Ramblers, and 50% to your partner charity – and this would be fine of the Ramblers to promote and organise.

I hope that helps? If you have any questions or issues do let us know.

Best Wishes,

James James Austin
Delivery Officer

East Cheshire Ramblers Group Minutes of the Committee meeting held on 2 September 2019

East Cheshire Ramblers Group Minutes of the Committee meeting held on 2 September  2019

1. Present

Jane Gay – Chair

Dave Barraclough – Footpath Committee Chairman

Sue Munslow – Membership Secretary

Kathryn Carty

Maggie Swindells – Social and Events Secretary

Adrian Flinn – Secretary

Apologies: 
 Colin Finlayson and Keith Anderson

2. Matters arising from last meeting

All outstanding issues have been completed except:

2.1 The “value for the cost of the subscription”. Not raised with Central Office yet. Action: Colin Finlayson to report at next meeting

2.2 Sharing Car usage. Central Office contacted with the proposal and await a response. Action: Jane Gay will report to Committee

3. New Issues

3.1 Safeguarding information (children and vulnerable adults): The guidance for walk leaders available in the RA website was discussed and noted as we need to be familiar with this guidance and ensure that it is implemented in the walks organized by ECR if there are young people under 18 and/or vulnerable adults in a walk. The existence/access of the guidance documents will be incorporated in the “Frequently asked questions” posted in our website. Action: Maggie Swindells will amend the FAQ’s document.

Also Walk Coordinators will be informed about the existence of the guidance and how to access the information in the RA website and to let their Walk Leaders know as well so that they can become familiar with the guidance in the rare occasion that it may apply during a walk. Action: Jane Gay

4. Walks Programme

4.1 Walk grade descriptions (given in our ECR website under “About” tab). After some discussion it was agreed to update the definitions to bring them in line with current practice. The Stroller walks description is required as well. The new descriptions will be:

Length:

  • Short: 5-7 miles (approx.)
  • Medium: 7-10 miles (approx.)
  • Long: 11+ miles

Terrain:

  • Easy: Walks on paths which are reasonably level with an easy pace. No great ascents or descents
  • Moderate: Walks on paths that involve rougher ground and there are some ascents and height gained
  • Strenuous: Walks on rough ground with possible strenuous climbs and/or descents with a faster pace

Stroller Walks

3- 4 miles on even ground with very limited ascents or descents and very few stiles

Action: (1) Maggie Swindells will add the revised descriptions in the FAQ’s document that is posted in our website. Also, in this document Walk Leaders will be encouraged to put a description of the terrain and ascents in feet that are likely to be encountered in their walk. (2) Jane Gay will ask the webmaster to amend the current descriptions to reflect the agreed changes and include Stroller Walks

4.2 Midweek Medium Walks. Further discussions took place in the light of new/latest statistical data provided by the Walk Coordinator regarding attendance on these walks that we offer twice weekly to our membership.  The Committee agreed that we should consider this issue again in the light of the figures for the whole of this year and in the meantime the frequency of these walks remain as they are. It was noted that volunteers offering to lead these medium midweek walks are not coming forward and there are some gaps in the 2nd half of this year programme. Action: Jane Gay will ask the Walk Coordinator to record as part of the statistical analysis the number of cancelled walks because of lack of leaders during 2019

5. Reports from Officers

5. 1 Chair

Noted. The Walk Leaders training course (basic) will be repeated next year (date to be decided) to encourage new volunteers to come forward. See Appendix 1

5.2 Treasurer

Noted. See Appendix 2

5.3 Membership

Noted. See Appendix 3

5.4 Social & Events

Noted. The Social Programme draft for the 1H 2020 was circulated for information. See Appendix 4

5.5 Footpaths

Noted. Two items raised were discussed under 7 below. See Appendix 5

5.6 Publicity

An article is being put in the Macclesfield Express each week. No update on Lost Paths project. The Committee would like to have the articles published in the Macc Express posted in our website regularly on a weekly basis.  Action: Adrian Flinn will contact Colin Park.

6. Any other Business

6.1 Continuity of future Footpath Maintenance project work. The Committee agreed that continuity of this essential work was essential and provided a valuable service to our membership and wider walking public, in particular, the vegetation clearance of the footpaths in our patch. Action: Jane Gay will contact the Footpath Maintenance Project Coordinator to discuss some of the ideas  which came out of the Committee discussion and to ascertain the Coordinator views as to how we can achieve this aim

6.2 Newspaper articles on (a) Lost Ways and (b) Cycling on footpaths (background is given in Appendix 5). It was agreed that in (a) we should seek what progress as been achieved so far by Central Office. Action: Dave Barraclough will contact Jack Cornish who is the manager of this project at RA. Item (b) was noted and no action is necessary.

Date of next meeting

Monday 11th November 2019 at 1.30 pm at Chair house. The agenda for this meeting will be mainly to discuss/finalise the arrangements of the AGM

Adrian Flinn – Secretary (9.9.2019)

APPENDIX 1



The walk leaders training course on the 4th of July was excellent and fully subscribed. We had six experienced leaders including our leader Gillian Kay who had done all of the planning and had met with us so we knew exactly what we were doing on the day. It seemed to go very well and was much appreciated. in the end all on the waiting list of 10 were offered places. Several people were unable to attend, the  2 main reasons being work commitments and the decision that the course was not the right one for them. We had emphasised the fact that it was a beginners course and several people decided that their map reading skills were better than those we were teaching on the course. We should discuss what we want to do next year. If the aim is to get people leading walks who are unsure about map reading,  then, I think the course was perfect. We could perhaps follow it up with some information about GPS and apps.

On Saturday 16th May 2020 I’ve agreed the all 3 walks will start from or near Macclesfield. See below. I’ve told weekend coordinators.

I am contacting you with an idea to help promote physical activity and the opportunities offered by the outdoors to residents of Macclesfield.

On Saturday 16th May 2020, the second Macclesfield Bikeathon will take place. We have an idea to build an even bigger event around this. With different events going on, on the same day to promote a wide range of outdoor activities for all.

I will be approaching many groups across the town associated with physical activity.

Would East Cheshire Ramblers be interested in organising a special event on the day? The detail can be ironed out closer to the time but I was thinking of a guided walk or something like that?

Please let me know your thoughts and if this is something that you would like to do, we will organise a meeting in September. 

With best wishes
Helena

I was talking to Martin Dunkley the other day and he was showing me the Facebook and WhatsApp that they use with his Spanish walking group. Facebook and ECR do not seem to be in any way active. I have spoken to Andy Davies, who I think set up the original Facebook link and also Roger but neither of them seem to know anything about how to create a more active Facebook and WhatsApp link which would only be available to members. I’m wondering if anybody on the committee has any working knowledge of either of these things.

I sent David Gylee the statistics which I circulated to you all.  Below is his response which I think we need to discuss. Maybe he will put a motion to the AGM

Jane,

Funnily enough I went with Andy Davies for a curry recce on Friday evening at Bengal Tiger Lily and we had a chat about walk numbers amongst other things. I asked him to let me have the numbers for 2019, so he sent me the latest figures.

There is a very clear trend from these figures from Ralph taken together with the 2019 figures to date.

As the group ages, as we most certainly are doing, the trend is towards Short walks, these are becoming the most popular by far.

I was particularly interested in Medium walks for 2019, and can clearly see that the mean average is falling from previous years. So, Tuesday and Wednesday Medium walks average at 9 each, Thursday averages at 8. There are some very low statistics, 1, 2, 3, 4 all occur and some on more than one occasion.

Also noticeable is that when there is a high number – 19 was the highest, then this is usually balanced by a low number on the alternative Medium walk day. So, weather may be a factor, or the walk leader may be a factor, or the start point, but it looks clear that medium walkers decide to go on a certain day, and then ignore the other day in that week.

Added together, the average works out at 17, an easily manageable number for one walk leader.

I would suggest that we go back to one Medium walk per week, alternating between Wednesday and Thursday, with the Long walk alternating between Tuesday and Wednesday. So, for example one week would have Long walk on Tuesday, Medium walk Wednesday, next week Long walk on Wednesday, Medium walk on Thursday.   On the other hand, short walks average out in 2019 for 21 on Tuesdays, and 19 on Wednesday, so could be split into two midweek walks, although organisation and a shortage of walk leaders may prove to be difficult to overcome.

What I personally think would be a very good solution, would be to have Long, Medium, and Short walks on different days each week, but then rotating on those days over a 3 week cycle.

Thus:-

Week 1

Tuesday – Long

Wednesday – Medium

Thursday – Short

Week 2

Tuesday – Short

Wednesday – Long

Thursday – Medium


Week 3

Tuesday – Medium

Wednesday – Short

Thursday – Long


but is probably far too radical for the members!! David

I will attempt to get this year’s medium walk numbers from Andy and share those with you as well as ask his opinion on the situation.


Frank and I Attended David Derek Thornley’s funeral and it was great to see so many of the long serving members there. The Ramblers must’ve been represented by at least 30 people so that was good. His family were lovely and have given me some maps and booklets to see if anybody wants them. I’ll share these at the meeting and then take them to the AGM

Re AGM I have a homemade cake already promised from Ruth Harrison!! 

Jane Gay

APPENDIX 2

Brief report as follows :

Bank balance at 26/8/2019 – £6068

Bank Charges to date -£5.70

2019/2020 Budget – This was submitted on 26th July to RA requesting £1600 funding for ECR .We will be notified in late September if our request has been accepted.

Annual Return 2019 :

Annual Year End accounts package has been issued with a return date deadline of 21st October .

Colin Finlayson

APPENDIX 3

August 2019 Membership Report 

ECR Membership Numbers

576    Jan

577    Feb

575    March

575    April

574    May 

562     June

557     July

558     August 

Numbers of new members joining each month always fluctuate slightly but averaging about 3 at present compared with about 4 last year. 

Early summer indicated a drop in membership .  Looking at those three months  from 22 not renewing…..

1/3    did not renew after a year

1/3    not renewing had been members from 2 to 10 years. 

This trend is shown nationally …there are many reasons

1.  people retiring later

2. more people may be walking but there are a large number of other groups where membership may be free.   For example the growth of AIR and U3A groups.  Congleton U3A has at least 4 groups representing 100 – 200 walkers.  

ACTION…..all new members trying out walks should be welcomed by all.  Membership secretory to order more leaflets for places such as the Macclesfield  Medical Centre. 

Recent email received….

Membership recruitment – please note the new booklet, adverts, joining process and staff 

We want members to feel part of our Ramblers community from the moment they join us. In addition to the friendly welcome they’ll receive locally, we’ve created a welcome booklet, which, from early October, will be sent to new members soon after they join, alongside their welcome letter and membership card. The booklet will help them understand how to make the most of their membership: introducing the range of benefits that they can enjoy and reminding them of ways to get involved with their local groups, volunteer and campaign with us. 

This Summer we’ve been trialling new Facebook adverts to help us recruit more of Britain’s walkers into our membership. We’ve been testing different messages to see which have most appeal. Encouragingly, the adverts trialled to date have been successful, especially the one which promotes our taster walks: where a non-member can try out up to three walks for free before joining the Ramblers.

We have also been making improvements to our joining process. With more than 85% of new members joining online, we want to make sure that this process is as easy as possible. From mid-September, we will be making some significant improvements to the online join process, including sending a follow-up email to anyone who doesn’t complete the whole process, asking for feedback and giving details on how to contact us if they’ve been having problems joining online.

And we know you will join us in welcoming Nicky Teegan this month as our new membership acquisition officer – a vital new role as we collectively aspire to grow our membership community. Nicky joins us from Cyclehoop and is looking forward to working with you to support your membership recruitment initiatives across Great Britain.  We will continue to keep you informed of progress. Please send any feedback to our head of membership nicola.fickling@ramblers.org.uk.

Sue Munslow

APPENDIX 4

Social Secretary’s Report 2nd September 2019

Thanks go to all our fellow ramblers who continue to co-ordinate walks, lead walks and provide social events for our group. Their continued support and enthusiasm ensures that we have a varied and interesting programme which we can all access and enjoy. 

Three visits to the Blackden Trust home of the author Alan Garner and his family, and organised by Brian Griffith and Colin Park, were a real treat. The visits, which were all very well attended, offered those who went a real insight into the author’s passion about local history and what life was like for his children growing up in a Tudor house with no amenities!  Thanks to Brian and Colin for all their hard work in organising the events.

Rodney Hughes led his Wincle History walk from the Ship Inn at Wincle on the 2nd August. Fifteen walkers attended and the feedback was very positive. Those who attended suggested that more history walks would be a good addition to our annual programme and Rodney has kindly agreed to lead another walk next summer.

Thanks go to Steve Hull for organising the evening walk programme which provides walkers with a great opportunity to make the most of walking in the longer summer days. Thanks too to Nick Wild for organising the meal after the final walk.

The coach trip to Conway has been advertised and we’ve had a positive response with 38 confirmed bookings so far. Another advert will go out at the beginning of September.

Three Christmas meals have been booked and all are preceded by a walk, details on the Social Calendar. 

Andy Davies has contacted me to say that he has booked a Curry Night on Thursday 24th October at the Bengal Tiger Lily, at Monks Heath.

The booking in February for an ECR Talk about the story behind The Clink, the restaurant at Styal Prison, has been confirmed.

Offers to organise or lead future events, coach trips and or weekends away would be warmly welcomed!

Maggie Swindells

maggieswindells@gmail.com

22nd August 2019

APPENDIX 5

FOOTPATH COMMITTEE REPORT TO THE MAIN ECR COMMITTEE MEETING September 2nd 2019

There has not been a Footpath Committee Meeting since the last ECR Committee Meeting but business has been continuing as normal with various e mail actions in progress. I will be attending the bi-annual Cheshire East Footpath Secretaries Meeting in the morning of September 2nd  – directly before the ECR Meeting and will report verbally on any key issues.

1. The last ECR Meeting was unable to discuss suggestions regarding the long term continuity of the Project Team and I would like to encourage discussion to reach a conclusion. My previous suggestions remain unchanged, as follows. It might be timely for the main ECR Committee to consider how this work can be ensured of continuity in the future. My personal view is that a small group of 2 to 4 people might co-ordinate the work (not necessarily as a formal Committee). This would help to ensure that we have continuity of experience as members come and go from this work – as happens with the Footpath Committee.

2. It was timely that Jane Gay and Sue Munslow circulated links of press articles regarding Lost ways and Cyclists on Footpaths respectively. I have concerns on both these topics and will be raising these also at the Cheshire FP Secretaries Meeting. I would like to discuss these under AOB at the Meeting.

Briefly my concerns are:-

Lost Ways

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/aug/07/ramble-on-the-fight-to-save-forgotten-footpaths

Our  useful meeting last January with Jack Cornish, the Project Manager for ‘Don’t Lose Your Way’ learnt about the project but also urged that the costs of claiming and establishing new paths need to be taken into account. He agreed to take this into consideration. It still appears that costs are not being considered at all. One enthusiastic Rambler in Suffolk has submitted more than 800 applications for new paths – all at the cost of the local PROW department’s limited resources. 

I will be updating the Lost Ways situation across Cheshire at my meeting of Footpath Secretatires.

Cycling on Footpaths

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/ramblers-put-a-foot-down-over-shared-paths-with-mountain-bikers-and-horse-riders-2j2p0x0hf

About the same time as this article I saw a TV news item by the British Cycling encouraging the formal opening of all footpaths to cyclists. The background pictures of numbers of mountain bikers on muddy footpaths were dreadful! I have also recently heard Peak District cycling groups promoting routes across paths in the Peak District – which is obviously illegal at present. The Ramblers policy seems much too weak “Let’s discuss each case” and they should be more proactive to stop illegal use, much as they did against the use of 4×4 vehicles on bridleways.

I suggest we might discuss these views and possibly pass our conclusions to the other Cheshire Ramblers Groups and onwards to Central Office.

3. I have listed a few points of interest from the ongoing work of the Footpath Committee that illustrate what we are regularly doing.

  1. SEMMMS Road – completion of outstanding commitments for footpath access points. This is a protracted actionled by Neil Collie, where we are maintaining pressure on CE PROW and the SEMMS contract company to fulfil their various commitments for adequate access points and footpaths along this road.
  2. Proposed deletion Rainow FP15/Kettleshulme FP23 – another protracted problem!! We previously reported that PROW had recommended refusal of this application to the CE ROW Committee and hoped that this would allow proper reinstatement of the footpath (notably a new bridge).  Unfortunately the landowner has appealed to the Secretary of State and there will now be a public enquiry. We are not heavily involved but we will probably re-state our opposition to the proposed deletion.
  3. Link with Project Team – the Committee has already been made aware of the Project Team completing the clearance of the overgrown Alderley Edge FP2 in Clock House Wood of Alderley Edge National Trust. The work was coordinated between Brian Richardson and Nick Brearley, arising directly from Nick joining the Footpath Committee and using the Inspection Database to identify a useful task. We hope to continue this approach with Nick’s   efforts. I hope Brian Richardson can produce a short publicity article to pass to Colin Park on this work. It is worth quoting Nick’s comments “I led a long walk yesterday which included FP2. I must say that I can’t remember a better waymarked path and the clearance and level adjustments worked very well, allowing easy progress. Chris Munslow was on hand to give some background information about the work involved. There were hopeful signs that the path is being used and that the time was well spent.”
  4. Footpath Problems reported – a small number of problems have been reported over the last 3 months, either via Central Office, from local members of the public or ECR members. Advice is given on these and action taken with PROW as necessary. Details are not described her but one useful example can be described. A bridge on a path at Sutton was washed away in the bad weather and reported to us. By the time it was raised with PROW, they had already closed the path and started arrangements to replace the bridge. However, the limitations of their publicity process were demonstrated. Our knowledge of this problem was able to alert a Walk Leader (Teresa Marshall) to re-route her planned walk. We may decide to renew discussions with PROW over the way they show all types of closures on their website.
  5. Annual Footpath Inspection The annual inspection has been fully organised by Tony Battilana and is now in progress. We expect many inspectors will leave their inspection until close to the September 27th deadline – then we will be busy with our analysis before the ECR AGM. A few minor problems have been raised with Tony.

Dave Barraclough

26th June 2019

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/aug/07/ramble-on-the-fight-to-save-forgotten-footpaths

East Cheshire Ramblers Group Minutes of the Committee meeting held on Monday 24th June 2019

East Cheshire Ramblers Group Minutes of the Committee meeting held on Monday 24th June 2019

1. Present

Jane Gay – Chair

Colin Finlayson – Treasurer

Kathryn Carty

Maggie Swindells – Social and Events Secretary

Adrian Flinn – Secretary

Apologies: 
 Keith Anderson, Dave Barraclough

and Sue Munslow

2. Matters arising from last meeting

2.1 Lost Ways:developments will be monitored as they happen as there is Committee support for this activity. Action: Colin Finlayson

2.2 Area Leadership Day: Noted (see Chair report for background)

2.3 Contact with other local walking groups in our Area: feedback was shared. No further action is required at this time.

3. New Issues

3.1 Safeguarding information:  carried forward to next meeting. Action: Maggie Swindells

3.2 ECR Committee attendance: Dave Barraclough has requested that he is no longer a full time member of the Committee but will attend meetings as and when available. Footpath Committee reports will be provided as usual. The Chair and the rest of the Committee recorded their appreciation of all the excellent contributions from Dave and hope that he will be able to attend our meetings frequently.

3.3 2019/2020 Budget preparation: figures were agreed by the Committee. Action: Colin Finlayson will circulate by email a draft budget for final approval by the Committee for submission to Central Office (CO) before the deadline on Friday 26 July.

The issue of “value for the cost of the subscription” to members will be raised with CO. Action: Colin Finlayson

3.4 Footpath Projects Team: the Coordinator (Brian Richardson) has restarted this work. The first project was vegetation clearance (Over Alderley FP2 in National Trust land) conducted by a team of volunteers on 21 June.

4. Walks Programme

4.1 Midweek Medium Walks: It was reported that recently the number of walkers attending these walks had dropped in a few walks. The Committee discussed this issue in depth and considered the possible factors impacting on numbers and some figures provided by the Walk Coordinator. Also, the figures from the first half of 2017 and 2018 were available for comparison. It was concluded that no changes to the programme are needed at this time. Informal soundings will be carried out to get a fuller picture during the second half of this year and may be convene a meeting of Walk Coordinators to seek their views. Action: Jane Gay if meeting is required

4.2 Stroller Walks: very successful. The Coordinator has proposed to increase the frequency to weekly in the 2020 Walk programme.

4.3 Walk Leaders Training on 4 July 2019: a small team convened by the Chair has spent time with Gillian Kay (an experienced leader who has taught as a National Park Ranger volunteer) to  plan this course which is fully booked with a waiting list.

5. Reports from Officers

5. 1 Chair

Noted and some of the issues have been discussed separately. See Appendix 1

5.2 Treasurer

No report. See item 3.3 above.

5.3 Membership

Noted. See Appendix 2

5.4 Social & Events

Noted. See Appendix 3

5.5 Footpaths

Noted. See Appendix 4

5.6 Publicity

No Report. No issues to consider at this meeting.

6. Any other Business

6.1 Issue ECR members with name badges to wear during walks (proposed by Keith Anderson to help remembering names): in theory a good suggestion but after discussion it was considered impractical.

6.2 Sharing Car usage: Keith Anderson proposed that we should make representation to CO to create an App accessible from our website for lift sharing. Action: Jane Gay will write to CO with this proposal

6.3 Develop a more active collaboration with the other two groups in our Cheshire East Area: it was agreed to send our Committee members list (with contact details) to the other groups to facilitate communications. Action: Jane Gay to send the list to Chairs in the other groups

Date of next meeting

Monday 2nd September 2019 at 1.30 pm at Chair house

Adrian Flinn – Secretary (30.6.2019)

Note

It was agreed to hold a meeting  on Monday 11th November 2019 at 1.30 pm at Chair house to finalize the arrangements for the AGM on Saturday 23rd November 2019

Appendix 1

I followed up on the area leadership day on the 26th of April to which we were not invited, or to be more correct to which Dave found he was invited the day before the meeting. I contacted Steve Butterfield and he said there were four from Congleton himself from South Cheshire and nobody from East Cheshire. Obviously something has gone wrong with the advertising of this meeting.


Good afternoon Diane,

I am contacting you  re the Area Leadership Day which was held at Crewe on the 26th of April. Dave Barraclough seemed to get notice of this the day before the event but was unable to attend and none of the committees members were able to take up his place at such short notice. I’m not actually sure who the event was open to. 

We are East Cheshire Group which is a part of Cheshire East Area. Would you like me to send you an up to date list of our committee members?  It sounded like a very interesting and useful day.

I have left a message on your mobile. Jane Gay Chair ECR 

And her response

Subject: RE: Area leadership day Crewe 26th April

Hi Jane, so sorry for slow response, I’ve been catching up with email since getting back from my holiday.

We wanted to start offering days for people new to Area Leadership roles and those on Area Committees/Councils and thinking about taking up an area role in the future.

The Crewe meeting was the first in a series across the country and was a piolet to see if volunteers found it useful, the logic for offering East Cheshire committee members first was because they had new people in role. It really was word of mouth after that so some people came who were curious about areas and how the area support team worked. 

I’m not sure why but Dave Barraclough was on my original list of people who expressed an interest, that could have been my mistake following the AGM, that is why I sent a reminder the day before.

I’m really pleased that you think this sort of meeting would be useful and some of your committee would want to attend.

Future meeting dates are hot off the press, just confirmed today, see below,  and if volunteers want to attend and are interested in taking on area roles or being on an area committee they are most welcome. More information will go out in the volunteer newsletter. 

We can also put on additional meetings if there is a need.

Thanks for getting in touch, if you want to discuss this in more detail I’m happy to give you a ring.

Meeting Dates:

  • Monday 20 May 2019                         York
  • Friday 26 July 2019                           Reading
  • Tuesday 17 September 2019             Exeter
  • Monday 30 September 2019             Newcastle
  • Monday 7 October      2019                St. Albans

As a result of this Steve Butterfield and I have had a discussion about whether or not we should have a more active Area set up. The first step is to circulate our committee membership to the other two groups. With this in mind I have asked Adrian to update the lists and we will discuss what we are happy to share with the other two groups.

If you remember from our last meeting Neil Collie, after he had attended General Council, thought it may be of benefit to us to have a slightly more active Area Group. 

Frank and I have taken over  putting information on to the website. We are now responsible for most of  the information which goes out to members and that which is put onto the website. I’m hoping that Maggie and Steve Hull will spend some time with us and then be able to carry out both of these tasks.  With this in mind I’ve set up a meeting on 1st July. 

Sue, Michael Murphy, David Gylee, Frank and myself have spent some time with Gillian Kay planning the walk leader training which is on the 4th of July. I think this is a trial session and that we will amend it after this initial course.

Below are two suggestions from Keith who is unable to attend this meeting. I said we would discuss them and get back to him.

1. How about issuing members with name badges and asking them to wear them. I, like many others I think, struggle to remember names from a 20+ walk group and these always seem to be 40-50% different members each time.

2. With all the publicity about car usage, should we be making representations to Ramblers HQ to create an App, accessible from our website for lift sharing.

I have absolutely no idea of the cost/effort/feasibility of such a thing but thought it worth asking the question !

I have been trialling the ramblers app and finding it really quite interesting and very easy to use. I will feedback more about it at the meeting.

A prospective  member made enquiries about joining a walk and said the following

“The walk was really good and I was made to feel very welcome, I’ll definitely come on another walk probably Saturday or next week” let’s hope she joined. 

Dave Barraclough has requested that he is no longer an automatic member of the committee but will attend meetings as and when he is available. I’d like to record my thanks to Dave for all he has done and the help he has given to me personally. Here’s hoping he is able to frequently attend our meetings!!! 

Jane

Appendix 2

For some years the rambler’s numbers nationally have been slowly declining for reasons already discussed.

East Cheshire Ramblers are showing a similar trend. From November 2018 to February 2019 we were averaging 3/4 new members per month. During this four-month period our total membership fell by five to 577.

However, from March to June this year we have only averaged 1/2 new members per month.  During this time our membership has dropped by 13 to 562,

During the last two weeks I have left more leaflets at the Town Hall and library.  Next week I am leaving some at the medical centre, hospital and the leisure centre.

Sue Munslow

Appendix 3

My thanks go to all my fellow ramblers who continue to offer and provide social events for our group. Their continued support and enthusiasm ensures that we have a varied and interesting programme which we can access and enjoy. 

Despite the weather over recent months the walks I’ve attended have been really interesting and have all been well received. It’s interesting that a number of new members have joined us on the short walks and most have turned up again!

Steve Hull organised an excellent coach trip to Arnside on the 8th June ably assisted by Ruth Harrison, who led the short walk, and Colin Park who led the long walk. Steve led the medium walk, which I joined, and despite the rain which fell softly but relentlessly all day, we really enjoyed our walk.  A lot of time and effort goes into organising our coach trips and I’d like to thank Steve, Ruth and Colin for the time and effort they put into the day. It was much appreciated by all the walkers. 

Melanie Davy organised an excellent walking weekend in Ilkley. Due to a number of fires on the moors over the Easter Weekend Melanie had to reorganise her plans which required additional effort on her part. On behalf of all the members who attended I’d like to thank Melanie for organising a very successful weekend away.

Twenty walkers joined Anne Thompson for her Monyash walk on the 20th June. The scenic afternoon walk, which culminated in an excellent meal for nineteen people, was prepared by a specialist chef.  Thank you to Anne for organising this event.

Due to high demand Brian Griffiths and Colin Park arranged a third date for a visit to Blackden Trust this summer. Please see dates below.

An additional special interest walk has been arranged for the 2nd August. Rodney Hughes will lead a Wincle History walk from the Ship Inn at Wincle which will take the old roman road to Wild Boar Clough and will finish at Wincle Brewery. Rodney will provide a ‘Historic Talk’ along the route.

The programme for the next six months is detailed below for your information and will be published on the ECR website. Three Christmas meals have been booked and all are preceded by a walk. Andy Davies has contacted me to say that he’s arranging a Curry Night in the Autumn and I’ve make a provisional booking in February for a ECR Talk about the story behind The Clink, the restaurant at Styal Prison.

Any other ideas or suggestions for future events would be warmly welcomed!

Maggie Swindells

East Cheshire Ramblers Social Calendar

July to December 2019

Thanks to all those involved in organising these events. Any ideas for the next programme would be warmly welcomed.

If you have any suggestions or ideas about an event please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Maggie Swindells maggieswindells@gmail.com 07729327940 /01625 829671

DATE EVENT
Thursday 4th July Walk Leader Training (full with a waiting list)
Wednesday 17th July Visit to Blackden Trust A six mile circular walk from Goostrey with 4/5 miles to Blackden Trust and 1/2 miles back. Organised by Brian Griffiths
Friday 2nd – 4th August   Long walkers weekend Kirby Stephen organised by Georgie and Peter Everson and Steve Hull (may be an optional walk on the 2nd)
Friday 2nd August Winkle History Walk led by Rodney Hughes max 20 places (currently one place left)
Thursday 15th August Final Evening Walk followed by a meal at Rosie Lee Hayfield 18.30 start from Hayfield led by Nick Wild
Wednesday 21st August Visit to Blackden Trust organised by Colin Park
Saturday 24th August Visit to Blackden Trust organised by Tony Littler
Saturday 21st – 29th September Bollington Walking Festival
Saturday 28th September Coach trip to Conway organised by Annette Hurst, Gina Thompson and Maggie Swindells
Friday 11th October History Talk by Judith Wilshaw – Brabyns Park and the Iron Bridge – Macclesfield Tennis Club
Friday 18/20th October Weekend away to Pickering organised by Ann Thompson
Saturday 23rd November ECR AGM  2pm at Macclesfield Tennis Club Please contact maggieswindells@gmail.com for more details
Tuesday 3rd December Area AGM – More details to follow
Thursday 12th December Midweek Christmas Lunch The Church House organised by Andy Davies preceded by a walk organised by David Gylee
Saturday 14th December Week End Christmas Lunch at The Windmill organised by Teresa Marshall preceded by a walk organised by Jane and Frank Gay.
Saturday 21st December Christmas walk and meal organised by Georgie and Peter Everson
Wednesday 1st January Keith’s Sherry walk organised by Melanie Davy and Lorraine Tolley

Future vents to note:

  • Andy Davies is hoping to organise a curry night in the autumn. Date and details to follow
  • 21st February 2020 at Macclesfield Tennis Club – ‘The Clink’ – the story behind the restaurant at Styal Prison

.

Appendix 4

The Footpath Committee met on June 10th for their regular meeting and a number of standard items were covered on the agenda. Minutes of the Meeting are copied to the ECR Chair.

A summary of key points is:-

  1. The annual footpath survey is fully organised and resourced with Footpath Inspectors and is currently in ‘mid season’, with results requested by the end of September. It is generally found that most inspectors leave their survey until the last few weeks. There has been one example of ‘cropping’ – planting of crops to obliterate the footpath – and this has been reported to PROW.
  2. Progress on several ‘Priority Paths was discussed and several Diversion Orders recorded. The work to restore the Harrop Brook bridge (that ECR contributed £500 to the cost) has not yet started.
  3. Neil Collie attended the recent ROW Committee Meeting to hear the outcome of the claim to delete Rainow FP15/Kettleshulme FP23, where the report recommended rejection of the claim, as we expected. The footpath should now be made walkable – but there will be inevitable problems.
  4. Nick Brearley has identified from the database results that Over Alderley FP2 is a suitable candidate for vegetation clearance. This is in the National Trust land and he has met with the NT Warden to agree a work plan. Discussion is ongoing with Brian Richardson to arrange a Working Party.
  5. We are not aware of any other project work being organised by the Project Team. It might be timely for the main ECR Committee to consider how this work can be ensured of continuity in the future. My personal view is that a small group of 2 to 4 people might co-ordinate the work (not necessarily as a formal Committee). This would help to ensure that we have continuity of experience as members come and go from this work – as happens with the Footpath Committee.
  6. We are discussing how to improve the information provided to ECR Members and the public, via the website, on how to report footpath problems to PROW. This would include links to the relevant PROW Offices in surrounding authorities (Cheshire West, Staffordshire, Derbyshire, Trafford, Stockport). We are proposing to discuss this topic at the next Cheshire Footpath Secretaries Meeting and PROW Consultative Meeting in October.  

Dave Barraclough

Chairman – ECR Footpath Committee

20th June 2019

70 YEARS OF NATIONAL PARKS IN BRITAIN

Members may be interested in the following event at the Wilmslow Guild

70 YEARS OF NATIONAL PARKS IN BRITAIN

FRIDAY 29 NOVEMBER 2019

In the UK there are 15 members in the National Park family, which are protected areas because of their beautiful countryside, wildlife and cultural heritage.2019 marks 70 years since the 1949 Act of Parliament was passed which established the family of National Parks in England and Wales that we know and love. This was the result of decades of dedicated struggle including mass protests and political lobbying. It means that today the most beautiful countryside in England and Wales has the strongest levels of protection. People live and work in the national parks and the farms, villages and towns are protected along with the landscape and wildlife.

The lecture will investigate some of these parks and will concentrate on the geological background and geographical processes which mould the individual landscapes as well as investigating the social and historical aspects of the selected parks and the prominent functional role tourism plays.

Venue        Wilmslow Guild

Day             Friday

Time           19:30 – 21:30

Tutor                    John King

Tickets are available from the Wilmslow Guild and you can also book online via their website Wilmslow Guild

Invitation to East Cheshire Ramblers Group AGM and Cheshire East Area AGM

EAST CHESHIRE RAMBLERS ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING

All members are invited to our AGM, which will be held on Saturday 23rd November 2019 starting at 2 pm. The venue is the Macclesfield Tennis Club,
Learning Zone Campus, Park Lane, Macclesfield SK11 8LF

Papers for the AGM will be available on the website during the week ending Saturday, 9th November 2019 with a limited number of copies available at the meeting.

Any member wishing to submit a motion should be put in writing with the names of the proposer and seconder to be received by the Secretary not later than Saturday 2nd November 2019.

Contact details are:
email: secretary@ramblerseastcheshire.org.uk

All officers and committee members retire each year but are eligible for re-election. The following are standing for re-election:
Jane Gay (Chair), Colin Finlayson (Treasurer), Dave
Barraclough (Footpath Committee Secretary), Sue
Munslow (Membership Secretary), Colin Park
(Publicity Officer), Kathryn Carty (Committee
Member), Keith Anderson (Committee Member) and
Maggie Swindells (Social Secretary)

Please note that the Secretary position will be vacant as the current incumbent has completed the 3 year term in the Office and will not seek re-election. The Committee will hope to get volunteers to stand as Secretary for election at the AGM (see below).

Also, the Committee is looking for additional volunteers to come forward to join as members.

The position of Project Coordinator for the “Lost Ways” project will be vacant as well.
If you wish to stand for any of the Officers position or as a Committee Member, or you wish to nominate anyone else, please send the candidate’s name and statement of their willingness to stand, together with names of the proposer and seconder, to the Secretary Adrian Flinn (contact details above) by Saturday, 2nd November 2019.

We look forward to seeing you all there.

CHESHIRE EAST AREA AGM (comprising the three Groups of East Cheshire (i.e. East Cheshire Ramblers, Congleton and South Cheshire)

This meeting will be held on Tuesday 3rd December 2019, hosted by Congleton Group at The Hawk Inn, 137 Crewe Rd., Haslington, Crewe, CW1 5RG
The meeting commences 7.00 p.m. for 7.30 p.m. All members are welcome to attend.

Adrian Flinn
On behalf of the East Cheshire Ramblers Committee
9 October 2019

Weekend Christmas Lunch 2019

RAMBLERS EAST CHESHIRE GROUP

Weekend Christmas Lunch 2019

This year’s weekend Christmas lunch will be held on Saturday14th December at 1.00 pm at The Windmill, Holehouse Lane, Whiteley Green, Macclesfield, and Cheshire, SK10 5SJ

There will be an optional, approximately 5 mile, walk beforehand details of which will be on the website nearer the time.

The menu is attached and costs £24 for 3 courses and includes a tip for the staff. 

To book a place please email me at teresahewitt@hotmail.com with your menu choices and preferably make your payment by bank transfer to:

Unity Trust Bank

Sort code: 60-83-01,

Account number: 20129929

Please quote reference TMX. 

If you are not able to do a bank transfer you can forward a cheque made payable to RA East Cheshire Group to:

Teresa Marshall, 13 Park House Lane, Prestbury, Cheshire, SK10 4HZ.  Please add your email address (and menu choices) so I can confirm your booking.

Please note the closing date for bookings is the 30th November but there is a limit on numbers so book early to avoid disappointment

Looking forward to seeing you there.

Regards,

Teresa

THE WINDMILL Christmas Fayre Menu

SATURDAY 14TH December 2019

Starters

Parsnip, Chestnut & Honey Soup

Smoked Salmon, Potato, Leek & Parmesan Gratin

Pheasant Breast, Pickled Winter Berries, Crisp Potato Cake & Game Jus

Poached Duck Egg, Tenderstem Broccoli, Red Cabbage Crisp, & Truffle

Mains

Roast Turkey With All The Traditional Trimmings

Braised Beef Brisket, Dauphinoise Potatoes, Shallot Puree, Fine Beans & Red Wine

 Sea Trout, Thai Basil Risotto, Salsa Verde & Parmesan

Wild Mushroom Strudel, Tomato Confit, Courgette Fritters, Rocket & Parmesan

Sweets

Traditional Christmas Pudding & Brandy Sauce (Gluten Free Option Available)

Black Forest Roulade, Cherry Compote, Chocolate Sauce & Vanilla Ice Cream

Flourless Chocolate Torte, Candied Pecans & Poached Winter Fruits

Seasonal Cheese & Biscuits

Manors, Baronies and Hunting Lodges

RAMBLERS EAST CHESHIRE GROUP

Manors, Baronies, and Royal Hunting Lodges –Our Historic Landscape

A Local History Talk by Judith Wilshaw

Local history is an engrossing subject, always something new to discover, never an end in sight.”

Judith comes from a long-established Marple family, and learnt about the history of the area by listening to relatives talking about their lives.  In 1992 she started running adult education classes in local history, and has continued to teach and give talks ever since.

After Duke William of Normandy had defeated Harold at the Battle of Hastings on the 14th October 1066 he declared the Crown owned all land in England. Much of England was uncultivated woodland, the preserve of wild animals, and suitable areas were designated as royal hunting forests for the delectation of the king and noblemen. Mellor was in the Royal Forest of the Peak and Marple was in Macclesfield Forest. Judith’s talk looks at the history of the local manors, baronies and hunting forests we pass by and through on our walks throughout the year.

FRIDAY 11th October 2019

7pm for 7-30pm at Macclesfield Tennis Club SK11 8LF

Please support this event and maybe bring along a few friends.

Tickets £6, which includes a light supper, a licensed pay bar is available.

TICKETS

Tickets can be bought from

Jane Gay, Colin Finlayson, Sue Munslow, Kathryn Carty, Adrian Flinn, Keith Anderson

Maggie Swindells 16, Castle Hill Court, Prestbury, SK10 4UT

maggieswindells@gmail.com  07729327940

PAYMENT

Cheques made payable to RA East Cheshire Group

Online Payment      Event Ref: MTLK

Bank: Unity Trust     Account Code: 20129929     Sort Code: 60-83-01 

TICKETS WILL BE AVAILABLE FOR COLLECTION ON THE DOOR

September Social Calendar UPDATE

East Cheshire Ramblers Social Calendar

July to December 2019

Thanks to all those involved in organising these events. Any ideas for the next programme would be warmly welcomed.

If you have any suggestions or ideas about an event please don’t hesitate to contact me.

 NEW EVENTS IN BOLD – TO BOOK FIRST AID TRAINING CLICK BOOK FIRST AID TRAINING or VISIT https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/o/ramblers-3448430213

Maggie Swindells maggieswindells@gmail.com 07729327940 /01625 829671

DATE EVENT
Thursday 4th July Walk Leader Training (full with a waiting list)
Wednesday 17th July Visit to Blackden Trust A six mile circular walk from Goostrey with 4/5 miles to Blackden Trust and 1/2 miles back. Organised by Brian Griffiths
Friday 2nd – 4th August   Long walkers weekend Kirby Stephen organised by Georgie and Peter Everson and Steve Hull (may be an optional walk on the 2nd)
Friday 2nd August Winkle History Walk led by Rodney Hughes max 20 places (currently one place left)
Thursday 15th August Final Evening Walk followed by a meal at Rosie Lee Hayfield 18.30 start from Hayfield led by Nick Wild
16th September and 18th November Ramblers First Aid Training Stockport  CLICK TO  BOOK FIRST AID TRAINING
Wednesday 21st August Visit to Blackden Trust organised by Colin Park
Saturday 24th August Visit to Blackden Trust organised by Tony Littler
Saturday 21st – 29th September Bollington Walking Festival
Saturday 28th September Coach trip to Conway organised by Annette Hurst, Gina Thompson and Maggie Swindells
Friday 11th October History Talk by Judith Wilshaw – Manors, Baronies and Royal Hunting Lodges – Macclesfield Tennis Club
Friday 18/20th October Weekend away to Pickering organised by Ann Thompson
Thursday 24th October Curry Night Bengal Tiger Lily organised by Andy Davies more details on the website
Friday 15th November Ramblers First Aid Training Crewe. CLICK TO BOOK FIRST AID TRAINING
Saturday 23rd November ECR AGM  2pm at Macclesfield Tennis Club Please contact maggieswindells@gmail.com for more details
Tuesday 3rd December Area AGM – More details to follow
Thursday 12th December Midweek Christmas Lunch The Church House organised by Andy Davies preceded by a walk organised by David Gylee
Saturday 14th December Week End Christmas Lunch at The Windmill organised by Teresa Marshall preceded by a walk organised by Jane and Frank Gay.
Saturday 21st December Christmas walk and meal organised by Georgie and Peter Everson
Wednesday 1st January Keith’s Sherry walk organised by Melanie Davy and Lorraine Tolley

Future vents to note:

21st February 2020 at Macclesfield Tennis Club – ‘The Clink’ – the story behind the restaurant at Styal Prison

.