Alderley Edge Mines Visit
Tuesday 21st June 2022
We have arranged an evening visit for ECR members to the Alderley Edge Copper mines on Tuesday 21st June at 7PM.
The trip will be run by the Derbyshire Caving Club and will be escorted by two of their members.
For general information on the mines and visits see:
For information regarding our trip, please contact:
Points to be aware of before visiting the mines:
- The mines involve going down uneven steps, ducking through low places and sometimes crawling on hands and knees. The crawls can usually be avoided but the low roofs in places cannot.
- Good footwear with ankle support is essential and wellington boots are recommended. Trainers are not suitable. Footwear should be suitable for outdoor walking.
- Waterproof clothing is not required but old clothes, which will not suffer from contact with sand and mud, are strongly recommended as you will get sand and some mud on your shoes and clothes. It washes out but may leave stains in very light-coloured clothing.
- The temperature in the mines is cool, but constant at about 10-12 degrees C. Dress as if for an autumn day in the garden!
- The route will involve climbing at least one ladder which has a safety line.
- You can bring a camera or camera phone but be aware of the risk to the camera from sand and water.
- Don’t bring a torch, geological hammer or rucksack. They will just get in your way and you must not remove any minerals.
- Helmets and cap lamps will be provided. The helmet with light attached must be worn at all times in the mine.
- Let the leader know before you enter the mine if you have any health condition that might affect your visit or you have any particular fears of the dark or confined spaces. Take any urgent medication with you. It might take up to an hour to fetch something from your car, such as an inhaler.
- The trip leader will give necessary safety instructions.
- Do not stray away from the group either singly or in a small group. If you want to stop to look at something or to take photographs, ask the leader to stop so that you are not left behind the group. If you become separated from the group, stay where you are, you will be found quicker.
The number of places on the trip is limited to 14, so if you want to come, contact me to confirm that there are still places left before transferring money or sending a cheque.
The cost is £8 per person.
Details for payment are:
By bank transfer:
Account Name: Ramblers Association (CH2)
Sort code: 60-83-01,
Account number: 20129929
Please quote reference: MINE
Make cheques payable to East Cheshire Ramblers and send them to:
37 Harvest Road