WINCLE HISTORY WALK
Friday 17th September 2021
Rodney Hughes, a member of the East Cheshire Ramblers Association, has kindly offered to lead a History Walk for members on Friday 17th September 2021.
The walk is about 5 miles and will take about 4.5 hours. We will start at Dane Bridge Wincle at 10.00am. There is parking alongside the road leading down from the Ship Inn. SK11 0QE SJ 9584 6603
There will be a lot of stops and historical explanations on this walk so a dry day will be necessary. If the weather is bad we will have to re-arrange if possible.
- Dane Bridge and previous industries.
- Over the old Battle field and conclusions.
- Past roman Tomb.
- Roman Road and original Ford. [Slideford] Double circle Druid stones.
- On to Lane Head past Hammerton Farm Roman Road over Hammerton Moss to Wild Boar PH.
- Over to Barlow hill- salt trail and Bennits Hill and Roman check point.
- Woodcottage Farm across to Broomhill to Nettlebeds drive and to Wincle Grange. [History]
- Salt trail across to Whitelee [local hanging] River Dane on to Wincle Brewery.
There is no charge and up to fifteen/twenty walkers would be ideal so that everyone present can hear what Rodney has to say. Please feel free to bring a drink and a snack as there will be a stop to take some refreshments. We will return back to the start for about 2.30pm and walkers may wish to take a refreshing drink at the brewery before we head off home?
If you would like to join Rodney on his walk please would you email or text me so that we can have an idea of numbers? firstname.lastname@example.org 07729327940 Many thanks Maggie Swindells